Friday, May 30, 2008

Happy Birthday to Charles!!

It is a beautiful day with perfect wind! I told Charles it was his birthday present from me. We are moving at 7 knots and it feels damn good after bobbing in the ocean for 2 days. I am making Charles a birthday cake later today. It will have two layers of white cake with white icing. It’s an experiment, as baking at sea is never a perfect science, especially when you don’t bake.
















I saw a Taco! It looks like a jelly fish with a clear bubble Mohawk that floats above the surface. I imagine when they want to sink it deflates. I will google it when we get to Bermuda and let you know. I am soooo glad Charles wasn’t hallucinating! :-)

(It's a Portuguese Man-of-War. I thought they looked different...hmm)













We talked to our families today. Charles called his parents. They were very excited to hear from him. I also called my parents as well as my brother Mike. They have all been tracking us via our SPOT personal locator beacons so they know exactly where we have been and where we are presently. The first thing Mike asked is why we veared so far south. He was making guesses as to what happened. Did Charles fall asleep at the wheel (Charles of course asked, “Why do I have to be the one they think falls asleep at the wheel!?)? We went south because that is where the wind was. Sailing is odd. You go 20 miles and are only 12 miles closer to your destination. Otherwise you aren't moving at all!

Mike was interested in knowing how the surface of the ocean was changing as we went over notable topographical areas. I told him it's been pretty flat. Totally not what I expected. They say May is the best time to cross. I figured fewer storms, no hurricanes; but not FLAT ocean. Its surreal. When we were in the heart of the Sargasso we did see a lot of Sargasso seaweed. I guess it can get even bigger and wreak havoc on your rudder.

No comments: