I am 32 years old. I have said good bye before. It never gets easier. In a recent thank you letter to a good friend I wrote that the english language does not have the appropriate word to use in situations like this. Good Bye is what you would say to an x-lover; one you have no intention of ever breathing the same air again. Shalom is a better word, or vios con dios. Charles and I are embarking on an adventure. One we will return from. But it still feels terrible leaving, it feels terrible to say the words Good Bye.
We have a great network of friends and family, why would we risk losing it all for adventure? Safety is an incredible feeling. Some people can never let it go, while others avoid it all together. I think Charles and I will live our lives adoring safety and then ocasionaly dumping her like an x lover. It hurts to leave because we respect the safety and comfort of our friends and family and yet we crave new experiences; new perspective.
We will return knowing new people, new cultures, new food, and hopefully return with new perspective. Personally, I think this is what scares me the most. Perspective has the ability to separate one from those they knew. It would be nice to bring the safety of our loved ones with us, but I think we all know it is more difficult to gain a new outlook on life if you never leave the one you have today.
So we will leave soon. We will not take the ones we love with us. But, when we return we will bring our embelished slide show of experiences with us and hopefully share the new perspective we have on the world with those we briefly left behind.
No comments:
Post a Comment