Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Waking in a Satin Sheet

Its 7:30am of our first morning at sea. Its my turn to sleep but I'm a little too exited. The sea looks like a giant satin sheet. Its beautiful and flat. Very bizarre looking. When I popped my head up the hatch I couldn’t see any land. Charles said he could still see towers when the sun came up though.
Charles has been seeing ocean life all morning. Some dulphins came by earlier and entertained him for a bit. The water is so clear he could see their bodies swimming under the water. The wind died after my watch so Charles put the motor on. Its best for now. We needed to charge up our batteries anyway. Apparently we were only going 1.5 kt. Slow. We were going about 4 when I went to sleep at 4am. Once we get enough to push us east Charles will put the sails back up.
It is going to take a while to adjust to the shifts. I was really tired last night while on duty and now I am wide awake. I made some red tea and will hopefully take a snooze here shortly. We are about 50 miles out and still listening to Chuck FM in Charleston. It's been a great sound track for the trip thus far. I am charging up the ipods because I am sure that reception will not last. We should be close to the gulf stream. Charles will motor through it and then sail the rest of the day and evening.

No comments: