Monday, May 26, 2008

Comforting Glow


I am sailing the first night shift of our journey. It's only 9:40pm, but it feels so much later. My body has not yet adjusted to life at sea. Its pitch black out, except for the comforting glow coming from the west. I can see the radio and cell towers on Charleston's barrier islands. I see a ship in the distance as well. I can check the radar to see exactly how far the ship is as it is very difficult to see at night. Our heading is a little more north than it should be as we are searching for wind. Yacht Weather reccomended waiting for another week in order to get better wind. Our priority is safety. As long as we have plenty of food and water, 3.5kts is fine with us. Its so piecful right now. However I am listening to Funky Town on Chuck FM. The radio is comforting too. I know I am not so far from civilization when I can hear the obnoxiously creative intros to the songs on the radio.

Charles and I decided I would do better with the first shift and he would pick up the 4am watch. I would rather stay awake, than wake up at 4am. Ugh! But, we may trade a few times as we traverse the wind, waves, and currents. Our first is the Gulf Stream. We should hit that in about 30 miles. At this rate it will probably be when I am sleeping. We will see. The stream is notorious for thunder storms and a strong northerly current.

So for entertainment I am listening to the radio as long as I can. I can also play video games, read, exercise, meditate, and practice my celestial navigation. Every 15 minutes I do a 360 degree look out from the cockpit. All is quiet this memorial day.

When ever I embark on a new journey my father always reminds me to look to my ancestors for guidance. If I need help they have the experience and motivation to help me out. This time he also mentioned that most of them just happended to be sailors. The Closes came over to the USA in the 1600’s. I am sure their journey was much different, but the ocean’s seducing calm has not changed. Just when you think the sea is your friend she has been knowned to turn on those she cradled only minutes before. I will pray to my ancestors for the guidance to navigate those angry waters. As well as pray to god for calm waters on our journey ahead.

Two shrimp boats in the Morgan River saying goodbye to us as we embark on our adventures!

No comments: