Thursday, May 29, 2008

Tacos

The days are starting to run together. It is so much quieter than I expected. I guess I was thinking shark week on Discovery Channel. It’s more like Mr. Rogers, minus the sweater coming on and off. Too hot for sweaters!

My source of night shift survival has been my Nintendo DS. My tummy is way too sensitive to depend on coffee and mountain dew for 6 hours. Video games are just the mindless distraction I need to keep me alert and watching the horizon. I gotta tell ya. The devil that pops up when you die in Super Mario Brothers is especially freaky when you are in the middle of the ocean and it is pitch black out.


I have never seen dark like this. Even backingpacking in Colorado.

We knew this when we left, but the wind is pretty weak. We have to run our engine daily to charge our batteries, but we just planned to keep it at idle. We find ourselves needing it for forward propulsion. If not the headsail and the main sail constantly bicker. I imagine it's similar to your kids waking you up at 4:30 am on a Saturday to mediate a fight. Just when you think you have it under control and you start to drift into sleepy wonder you a hear a loud “Mahhhhhm”. Ugh Need sleep.

We saw a container ship in the distance as well as another sailboat today. Later in the afternoon Charles saw a Coast Guard cutter in the distance. It’s reassuring to know they are out this far. I am sure they were just as surprised to see us as we were to see them.

Charles keeps seeing Tacos. I have yet to see them as they usually appear in the morning and I go to sleep at 4am, an hour before the sun comes up. He thinks they are jelly fish shaped like an upside down taco floating on top of the water. I told him he needs to take a picture! He may be hallucinating!


We still like each other!!

No comments: