In Horta we met this older couple (late 70s) who approached the boat becasue of our US flag. Their kids moved to the states and they have visited there a few times. They had been to Boston (seems like everyone we talk to has family in Boston), Provedence and Florida. The woman did the talking as I think the man was a little embarressed to use his english. He understood everything and when he did speak he was very sweet. He told me he was blowing me a sweet kiss as he was leaving. He told his wife to blow one to Charles too. They were sooo cute.
For the first couple of days we were confused as to why only older people were talking to us. Then we realized they know english due to the fact that many of their kids live in the states now. They see us and think of their children and want to reach out.
We also met a young couple in Sao Jorge who had just returned from Boston where they were visting family. They owned the coffee shop where we were sipping esspresso. They invited us to stay with them after a 20 minute conversation.
This openess always takes me by surprise. I was in Ireland 8 years ago and my purse was stolen. A young woman and her father over heard me talking to American Express (remember travelers checks!). They offered me money and a place to stay if I needed it. I immediatly responded that I was fine and had additional funds. I was almost embarressed by their offer. But I now I better understand that generousity satisfies the giver sometimes more than it does the receiver. So, Charles and I assured our new found Azoran friends we would be in touch the next time we visit the islands.
Painted walls of Horta Marina. Its good luck for sailors to paint a mural before they leave. Charles and I decided anything we painted would just be graffiti.
Charles and Megan with the Pico volcano. It is active, but was not errupting when we were there. We had grand plans to climb it, but were so out of breather after climbing this hill on Faial we decided our sea legs were not meant to be on the top of a mountain anytime soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment