Monday, June 2, 2008

Quiet sleepy day

Charles saw two ships during his night shift. We are getting closer! We are hearing regular transmissions from Bermuda Harbor Radio. Weather, navigational hazards. Each communication from the man with the english accent, I view as an outreach of pure love. Little does the poor customs dude know; I am going to hug him when I see him. Hey, I am SURE it has happened before!

We called Bermuda Radio to check in. We plan to be there by day break on 6/3/08. They told us to call back when we are 5 miles south of St. Georges Head Light House. There is a container ship planned to cut in at 7am and a cruse shop at 10:30. I am banking on getting there at 6am baby! F- the money makers. I want a cheeseburger!!!!!!!

In all seriousness Bermuda is a volcanic island. This means the land rises out of NO WHERE! You can sail along with 1000 feet and all of the sudden be grounded on a reef. Uh, no thank you! Charles and I went over and over our approach. When we called we also asked if our heading was ok. The gentlemen was very friendly and helpful. So we are hoping to get there by 5am, scratch and dent free!!!! They run the island like air traffic control. From what I have seen and read, the cut into the harbor is very narrow.

Later that night...
BERMUDA!!! The sun went down and we finally see signs of civilization! We are 17 miles from the western “corner” of the island and we can see lights. The comforting glow I referred to when we were leaving the east coast. Yeah!!!

No comments: