;-)
Our trip from Sao Miguel was uneventful. The wind was hiding until the final 300 miles. With no wind comes beautiful weather. The ocean was glass at times. So serreal to see your reflection in the water when you are hundreds of miles from land and the water miles deep. I must admit we used our engine alot. 5 weeks ago we were content going 2 knots on the open ocean. Our final passage to mainland Europe found us pushing the throttle to 1500 RPMs and praying we had enough deisel to get us through the duldrums. We made it with no problems at all. We never saw a shark on the entire trip. We saw a whale, a turtle, a manta-ray, and a few pods of dolphins. Now we never swam in the open ocean. We saw it as an unnecessary risk. We have spent far too many hours watching Shark Week on Discovery. With out a doubt one of us would be the target of a Great White who just happened by Gertrude as we jumped in the water.
Now we are living La vida loca in Lagos. Its like Spring Break with a refined European feel. Although we did see a young Australian walk out of a bar and puke. We will spend another day here so we can do laundry, research Morroco, and visit a castle that is supposed to remind one of the fairytale castles. I have seen many midevil castles in my day but they look more like forts or churchs than the castles of my imagination. I will take pictures for you!
Well, we are off to go explore Lagos and do some grocery shopping. Its so nice to be back on land!!!! We are not sure where we are going next. We have several days before we meet Tim and Katie in Girbraltar (July 18th). From there we will say goodbye to Gertrude for a few days and head to Morocco. Then we will sail up the coast of Spain. Of course I will keep you posted. Thank you to all for your thoughts and prayers along the way! We love you!!!
So long to Sao Miguel, and The Azores!
A pod of dolphins near Sao Miguel wishing us a safe journey. It is very hard to take pictures of dolphins. The fact that I was able to get these shots speaks to how many were following us.
This is the most southwestern point of the European continent. Before they found America this was the end of the world.
Looks like an aircraft carrier. Our final 20 miles was spent crossing a traffic separation zone on the sw tip of Portugal. I was nervous as we were surrounded by gigantic ships. About 15 around us at any given moment. ugh.
In the center is Gertrude spending some time alone in Lagos. She needed it.
5 comments:
Your pictures are great!! Can't wait to see all of them :-)
Greetings! The pix of the dolphins is great! I've tried to get pixs of them before and couldn't achieve clear ones; so bravo! You both appear to be enjoying this splendid ocean adventure, so keep the smiles going! Be careful out there on the seas and smooth sailing!
Hugs & kisses,
CHBII
Hello Megan & Charles, it looks like you had a great trip! Too bad you didn't see any sharks though... they're such impressive creatures! Speaking of them, did you know that Shark Week 2008 is coming up very soon?
This year's Shark Week starts on Sunday, July 27th, at 9PM with a brand new shark-related episode of Mythbusters. I work with Discovery so I have the inside scoop... if you would like to know more feel free to contact me. You can also check out the Shark Week website at:
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/sharkweek/sharkweek.html
I hope you don't mind me contacting you like this, but I figured you'd be glad to know more about this year's Shark Week. :) Feel free to contact me, and have a great day.
Shawn Grover
shawngrover2008@gmail.com
Hi, Megan,
I wish I had met you last year. We had just returned from our latest adventure which was Maryland to Nova Scotia to the Bahamas and back. We have also sailed the Pacific Mexico. I understand your quest for adventure and a more meaningful life! We miss it but are settling down in Charleston and loving it here. We are originally from Southern California. I am 61 now and my husband is 66. And we still love adventure! Keep having fun!
Megan & Charles-
Thinking of you both often. Hope you have fun with Tim and Katie. Great pics as always on the open road...I mean ocean. xox, Christine
Post a Comment