Monday, October 22, 2007

A goal is a dream with a deadline

Charles and I (Megan) are chasing a dream. With all the F-ed up things going on in the world we thought that maybe our story might be worth documenting. We are in our young 30s and looking to celebrate our financial success by circumnavigating the world in a sailboat. Irresponsible? Foolish? Weird? Insane? Dangerous? Selfish?

These are the doubts that fill my quiet moments. But I take a deep breath and realize that safety, comfort, stability, and security are out numbered; not to mention incredibly BORING!!! Not boring in the 3:30 on a Friday sense; more like I would rather lay down and never wake up kind of boring. Where are we without our dreams? Ahh, I don't want to think about it.

Charles and I don't want to live the life that we were programmed to live. We want to see, feel, and hear what makes up this world. What better way to experience this than through sailing? Our goal is to find a boat we can make our home, learn to sail, and eventually sail away. Yes, I said we need to learn to sail. Charles and I have had sailing experience, but very limited. We have a lot to learn.

Our plan is to post most of our success stories as well as our humiliating failuries. Hopefully this will give you all some perspective before you judge us. I guess my hope is that you won't judge us, but hell judgement is so obviously a part of our human nature.

So we are in the process of looking for a boat. My non-negotiables are safety, comfort, stability, and security. Hmmm, sounds familiar. Charles' non-negotiables are the same; however he is more into the comfort and I am more into the safety. We both have friends who sail and are more than willing to offer their advice. We are very thankful for it, but have also realized it is most important for us to follow our own instincts; as sailing is like religion. Everyone has an opinion, and you are damned to hell if you don't choose the right one.

We also have a budget that requires we look at boats built between 1989 and 2000. We prefer 2 cabins and 2 heads, but we can get by with 1 head as long as it has an enclosed shower. We want a boat that has most everything we need in order to take off on our trip. We would like to finance a majority of the cost so that we can break it all down into a monthly budget. Realistically I am sure we will take some of these costs on as even boats with "everything" have problems and replacement needs.

We are focusing on Endeavor, Beneteau, Morgan, Pearson, Catalina, Jeanneau, Hunter, and we will keep you posted!

I am off to drink some wine and watch Family Guy...and prepare for circumnavigation. Oh, and a goal is a dream with a deadline; our deadline is May 08'. Ready or not...

2 comments:

Suzanne Puleri said...

YIKES!!! How exciting! Can you learn all about sailing by May 8th?? Enough to go safely around the world??? Oh MY!!! :) (There is the mother in me!!)

No judgement here tho...I don't accept that it is human nature...I am bound and determined to break that pattern...at least on my end.

I love the concept you are putting out there...and am looking forward to following along with your story. I don't get the head part...are they really shower heads? I'm thinking no....obviously I don't know much about sailing myself...though I was taught a little bit how to "steer" a sailboat this past summer. It was HARD! Tiring might be a better word for it. We have a friends who have a sailboat in Lake Erie/Vermillion, OH...the gal has sailed all her life and is totally into it...you could always pick her brain/their brains if you need another opinion on sailboat types...

Keep us posted on your progress. We want to see pictures and hear all the details! (Well, alot of the details.....) ;) Make your namesake proud! (And STAY SAFE!!!) LOVE YOU!!!

Sue & Tom

Kris said...

Hmmmm....A goal is a dream with a deadline....where have I heard that before? Could I ever have imagined where that little family exercise would lead?

Your dreams are way larger than mine ever were. I guess I never had the desire to risk my life in a quest for strange new experiences, breath-taking vistas, endless days floating in the ocean, perfect storms, pirates or inedible food.

Sorry, just being your mom.

Study hard.
Practice, practice, practice.
Don't leave prematurely.
Call your mom often.

More comments and advice are sure to follow.

I love you.
Mom